Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 12-30-2012, 09:10 AM

Thumbs down VanDyke not using %APPDATA% for storing host information

My box has a fast but small SSD-drive C: mainly for operating system and spinning drive D: for large amounts of data. I did use an answer-file during fresh install to move ProfilesDirectory and ProgramData to the D-drive to make sure that my OS knows exactly how my system should be set up.

This is not uncommon practice nowadays to have fast system with large storage capacity. It works well only if application programmers realize that they need to ask the OS for various directory locations. However, once a while there appear to be illiterate programmers ignoring Microsoft best practices and common sense.

VanDyke is one of them.

Occasionally I see the C:\Users directory which I always delete without ever looking into its contents. When it comes to SecureCRT, this means that my hosts database has a rather short lifespan.

Also when talking about host database, I don't seem to understand why VanDyke does not make a clear and simple screen to display/manage them. Why do I have to search an obscure directory location for it? You have heard of GUI, right?

Regards,
Jari Turkia

PS. Make the forum session run a bit longer, please.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Jari,

Thanks for the feedback. When one first launches SecureCRT, they are prompted for a location to store the configuration folder. This is user definable, and if one wants to store the data on a location other than the default provided, it is necessary to make the change prior to pressing the OK button. I have attached a screenshot of the dialog to which I am referring (ConfigurationFolderPath.png).

It is also possible to change the path if you copied your configuration folder from another machine. This option is available through the GUI and I have attached a screenshot of where to find the option (ChangeConfigurationFolderPathDialog.png).

Finally, it is possible to manage the host key database through the GUI along with changing the path. Please see the third attached screenshot of the Global Options dialog which is accessible via the GUI (HostKeyDatabasePathandManagement.png).

Does this help to address the concerns you have?
Attached Images
File Type: png ConfigurationFolderPath.png (28.8 KB, 341 views)
File Type: png ChangeConfigurationFolderPathDialog.png (54.4 KB, 370 views)
File Type: png HostKeyDatabasePathandManagement.png (46.8 KB, 352 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb View Post
Hi Jari,
Thanks for the feedback. When one first launches SecureCRT, they are prompted for a location to store the configuration folder. This is user
I agree, installator actually asks for the directory.

Quote:
Hi Jari,
Finally, it is possible to manage the host key database through the GUI along with changing the path. Please see the third attached screenshot of the Global Options dialog which is accessible via the GUI (HostKeyDatabasePathandManagement.png).
Thanks for this information. There indeeded is a GUI for host key management. That I did not know earlier.

But it also reveals that the configuration path I gave on installation is not obeyed at all. Which pretty much is my original complaint (see above).

Regards,
Jari Turkia
Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 AM

Hi Jari,
Quote:
But it also reveals that the configuration path I gave on installation is not obeyed at all. Which pretty much is my original complaint (see above).
Since the information that I provided has not helped address your remaining concern, I will need more information about the actual problem.

A configuration folder path is not typically provided during installation. What specific steps did you take to install SecureCRT?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Since the information that I provided has not helped address your remaining concern, I will need more information about the actual problem.

A configuration folder path is not typically provided during installation. What specific steps did you take to install SecureCRT?
My installation was a while ago, and the issue has been there always. I did my system upgrade over an year ago, so I try to provide helpful information for your software designers and developers.

I'm gathering following:
  • Your software chooses to ignore the system value for user's application data path. MISTAKE! Always use system's values.
  • The data path is stored as a fixed value during installation. MISTAKE! Simply don't do that.
  • You cannot foresee the user data path ever changing. MISTAKE! There are number of ways to move user's profiles in Windows. Even to other drives than the Windows boot volume.
  • In my case, the move must have been with Windows Easy Transfer -tool when I installed my SSD-drive. I simply packed my user to an USB-stick and restored it into a freshly installed operating system... which had different drives than the original one. Smart programmers use system values, and this wouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully this clarifies the situation for you.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 AM

Hi Jatu,

Thanks for the update.
Quote:
  • Your software chooses to ignore the system value for user's application data path. MISTAKE! Always use system's values.
  • The data path is stored as a fixed value during installation. MISTAKE! Simply don't do that.
As mentioned previously, the path for the configuration folder is not defined at install time except in rare mass deployments that are typically a result of an organization requiring certain behavior in their environment.

Unless you installed SecureCRT using a custom installer that we provided, you used a values file to modify how a default installation occurs or some sort of transform which you created, you were prompted to provide a path to use for the configuration folder location the first time you started SecureCRT.

Further, the configuration folder path can be modified in the General category of the Global Options dialog.

This behavior is by design. The path to the configuration folder is user definable.
Quote:
  • You cannot foresee the user data path ever changing. MISTAKE! There are number of ways to move user's profiles in Windows. Even to other drives than the Windows boot volume.
Exactly! Because we do not know the location where a user may prefer to store data like the configuration folder, we offer the flexibility of a user definable path which can be modified as needs change.

It sounds like you are requesting that we add an option to obtain a path from the "system value for user's application data path" which could be used in place of the current functionality.

We will post to this forum thread if we add an option to obtain a configuration folder path from the "system value for user's application data path."

It also sounds like it might be helpful in your scenario if SecureCRT were to use a KnownHosts folder path that is relative to the configuration folder path rather than an absolute path which the user can define.

We will also post to this forum thread should we add this capability.

If you would like to be notified directly should either of these features be added to SecureCRT, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 10-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Hi Jatu, all,

I wanted to post to this thread that SecureCRT 7.2 (and newer) has a new feature that makes it easier to share configuration folder data between platforms that use different paths.

This is something that should be automatic, and should work with the SecureCRT installation path, the configuration folder path and the documents folder. On Mac OS X machines, one can also use the .ssh folder.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Tags
appdata , hosts database , misbehaving application , profilesdirectory