Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 10-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Redirect Com port to active telnet session

I have a piece of software that will communicate to a remote end via serial. I can use a piece of software called Net2Serial or something along those lines that will route the communication destined to a fake comm port and send it out the telnet session. Is there anyway that SecureCRT can capture the data to a fake comm port and send it out the telnet session?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-11-2010, 04:21 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi Chris,

Could you explain in more detail what you are trying to accomplish?

SecureCRT supports both Serial and Telnet protocol.

What do you mean by "fake comm port"?

Are you connecting to the same device via Telnet?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 AM

bridge serial port?

Hello!
I think he looks for a function to access or bridge the serial port from his client during a telnet or ssh session to the connected server, like the "pass-through" or transparent printing...

By the way, if such function could be implemented in securecrt, i also would be very interested in it.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Hello jsassm,

Following a call this a.m. from the previous forum "post-er" in this thread, I did some further research on the Net2Serial software and I believe with its presence, this is possible in SecureCRT.

From what I found in Net2Serial's documentation, it runs as a service and provides the "bridge" to the serial ports. All that is required is a Telnet connection to the machine that is running the Net2Serial service.

Are you also using the Net2Serial software?

This original request was corrected via e-mail. The functionality Chris is looking for is that which is provided by "NetSerial", which creates virtual COM Ports. SecureCRT does not support this nor the RFC 2217 Telnet Com Port Control option that is the basis for several modes (inbound/outbound) that can be configured in NetSerial.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our development database for support for RFC 2217 (Telnet Com Port Control Option). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct e-mail notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #6244" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730

Last edited by bgagnon; 10-25-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:25 PM

Hello jsassm,

Development wants to confirm our interpretation of your feature request.

We believe you are asking for SecureCRT to create a COM port on the computer that a program (like HyperTerm) could connect to using serial. SecureCRT would then forward any traffic from the serial port to the remote server.

Is this an accurate summary of the functionality desired?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 AM

Hello!

Quote:
We believe you are asking for SecureCRT to create a COM port on the computer that a program (like HyperTerm) could connect to using serial. SecureCRT would then forward any traffic from the serial port to the remote server.

Is this an accurate summary of the functionality desired?
No sorry, not exactly what i meant. (Except the part with "SecureCRT would then forward any traffic from the serial port to the remote server.")

To explain the situation for better understanding:
We got terminal-boxes, and want to gradual replace them by a software-emulator (like securecrt). This terminal boxes have an Ethernet Interface, Serial-Interfaces and also a parallel. On the parallel we have connected a printer, on the serial is connected a Optical Mark Recognition-Device.

So, if i replace the terminalbox by a pc with securecrt, its no problem to print on the windpws-pc (during ssh/telnet session) trough the paralell-port (with some parameters set: direct-pass-through-printing, no windows spooler,..).

But if I want to use the OMR-Reader, which is connected to the com1 of the pc, it dont work! Are there some special parameter-settings fro securecrt to use the locale serial-port while connected to a ssh-server?
Old 10-27-2010, 02:30 PM

Hi jsassm,

What version of SecureCRT are you using? (Help / SecureCRT...)

Could you provide additional explanation of how you are using SecureCRT with the OMR device?

I gather from my initial research it is scanning software/device.

Are you wishing to pipe the scanned data **FROM** the device **TO** the SecureCRT session with the SSH server?

In what way does it not work?

In other words, if we leave any SecureCRT ssh connections out of the equation, can SecureCRT and this device communicate via the COM port?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Hello!

Quote:
What version of SecureCRT are you using? (Help / SecureCRT...)
used securecrt version: 6.5.4 (x64 build 555)

Quote:
Could you provide additional explanation of how you are using SecureCRT with the OMR device?
How we wont to use it:
OMR-Reader read a form sheet --> sends data to serial-interface and then waits for a Escape-Sequence where to put out the paper. (Optional: another escape-sequence can be send before the scan, to choose how the data should be displayed...)
...and all during a ssh/telnet session.

Quote:
Are you wishing to pipe the scanned data **FROM** the device **TO** the SecureCRT session with the SSH server?
This is exactly what we want!
And if possible, also send a escape-sequence to the device on the serial interface (pipe for both directions?).

Quote:
In what way does it not work?
I get no data from the reader on the connected ssh session.

Quote:
In other words, if we leave any SecureCRT ssh connections out of the equation, can SecureCRT and this device communicate via the COM port?
Yes, i am connecting per securecrt directly to the serial device and have the data on the display and can also send a acknowledgement to the omr-device.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Hi jsassm,

I will do some research on this issue as to what is currently possible and/or if we need a feature request.

I should have an answer sometime tomorrow (Friday, October 29, 2010).

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 AM

Thank you Brenda!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 PM

Hi jsassm,

I think we do have a solution you could implement.

It's fairly complex and contains sensitive information, so I would like to move this from the forums.

Please contact me at support@vandyke.com and include "Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #6244" in the subject line.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 02-28-2015, 12:31 PM

Rfc 2217

Hi, is there any update as to when/if SecureCRT will support RFC 2217

as i would like to use SecureCRT with the very popular Airconsole in other than RAW/telnet mode.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:30 AM

Hi tomuk5,

Thanks for the post.

We don't have an update on implementing RFC 2217. We will post here if we add support for the RFC in the future.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 05-01-2017, 08:54 PM

update

Any change in rfc 2217 support?
Old 05-03-2017, 02:38 PM
VanDyke Product Director

This isn't something we get a lot of requests for. I'll speak with the programmers to find out how difficult it is and get back you.

Maureen