Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 06-01-2008, 04:29 PM

Capture

Procomm has a button that I can push called capture. I type something and then hit capture again to stop it and it saves it. Please tell me SecureCRT has this function.
I know about the log file, but I log everything I do, so stopping and starting would be a pain. Anyway capture and logging are two different things.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 AM

I been using procomm a long time ago and not sure what you mean about the difference between the capture function in procomm and log function in securecrt since i found them to basically do the same.
Using SecureCRT you could select "File->Log session" from the menu to start logging and select the same to stop the logging again. If you prefer you could add that option to a shortcut key or a toolbar button and then you should have the same as the capture function using procomm.
If you edit a session you have some options for the logging for that session or the default log settings for all sessions. This is to set some options for the logging, but you don't have to enter this setting every time you want to start and stop the logging.

Regards
Gan
Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi jjblackisback,

It does sound like the SecureCRT log capability can be used to accomplish what it is you are looking to do.

What is it about the SecureCRT logging capability that would make it unusable in the scenario you have described?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:57 AM

I leave log on all the time in case I need to go back and copy something. I often do a "show tech" on a Cisco core switches to send to Cisco for troubleshooting. This command produces hundred's of lines of information that needs to be sent to Cisco.
With Procomm you just hit "Capture" hit enter and the space bar until all information has been produced. Stop the capture and email the file to Cisco. With SecureCRT I would need to highlight the hundred's of lines from the log and create a new file to send to Cisco.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 AM

Hi jjblackisback,

Thanks for the clarification.

There may be a scripting solution.

How do you know when to end the capture?
In other words, is there a certain line that appears to indicates you have reached the end of the information you with to capture?
Is the text simlar between all of the captures you wish to do?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 AM

It goes back to the command prompt. ex:

start capture:
switch#show tech-support

hundreds of lines

end capture:
switch#

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 AM

Hi jjblackisback,

I have attached a basic example script that may be helpful in getting you started toward developing a solution.

Using the button bar (or mapped keys) you can configure the script to run when you hit a certain hot key.

After reviewing the scripting do you have any specific questions?

Are you able to use this script to develop a solution to accomplish what it is you are looking to do?
Attached Files
File Type: txt CaptureCommandOutput.vbs.txt (7.7 KB, 165 views)
Old 06-06-2008, 10:51 AM

This script is working great. Thank you very much.