Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 AM

secureCRT through VPN access

Hi,

I'm a new user to secureCRT and am looking for some guidance on how to configure the client through my L2TP IPsec connection. Working on my local network I have no problem SSH into the devices. However, outside the local network I'm not able to connect. Just looking for some guidance on settings I should be looking to configure while using this VPN.

Thanks,
Old 11-20-2014, 01:46 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi ktegtmeyer,

Thanks for the post. When SecureCRT establishes a connection, it asks Windows to do the heavy lifting. Windows would handle routing the connection through your VPN or some other network path.

SecureCRT doesn't know if it is connecting over a VPN, a regular wired network interface or a wireless network interface.

It seems like your VPN is the problem in this case, so I would suggest checking with your IT department or the VPN vendor for assistance getting the VPN to route traffic the way that you expect.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM

Hi Todd,

I'm using OS X Yosemite, but I'm guessing it's still the case that the OS does the heavy lifting.

I"ll look further into my VPN setup.

Thanks
Old 11-20-2014, 05:38 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi ktegtmeyer,

Sounds good. Please feel free to post your VPN troubleshooting results. It may be helpful for others.

Another data point that may be helpful would be whether another SSH2 client can connect through the VPN successfully.

If you were to use ssh in Terminal to successfully connect through the VPN, then we may need to get more information about how SecureCRT is failing.

I probably should have said that the operating system does the heavy lifting rather than Windows.

If you are able to connect through the VPN using ssh in Terminal, then please post the version of SecureCRT that you are using on Yosemite.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730