Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 02-01-2020, 10:22 PM

Can [X] be Customized to Disconnect and Minimize?

This is admittedly another strange request...

Is it at all possible, through menu customization (or any other setting), to configure SecureCRT so that when the application is "Closed" (such as by pressing the "x" in the upper right hand corner), that instead of disconnecting all sessions and closing, that it disconnects all sessions and minimizes instead?

The reason is simply that SecureCRT is (comparatively) slow to start. It is a much larger application than PuTTY & Forks, and as a result is a little unwieldy to use for quick ad-hoc sessions to things not in my session database. Where I would simply start->run->Putty 10.2.3.4, I still tend to do, well, start->run->Putty 10.2.3.4, because it's so much faster than launching SecureCRT.

If SecureCRT didn't fully close, and instead sat in my task bar minimized, ready to spring to life quickly - I might be able to change my habits for ad-hoc sessions.

For reference:

SecureCRT 10.2.3.4 - 7 seconds to login prompt (if not running)
SecureCRT 10.2.3.4 - <2 seconds to login prompt (if running and minimized)
Putty 10.2.3.4 - <1 second.

* This may make more sense knowing that I prefer the Single-Window setting, so all launched sessions, ad-hoc or not, show up in the one SecureCRT window.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:39 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi kdmorse,
Quote:
Is it at all possible, through menu customization (or any other setting), to configure SecureCRT so that when the application is "Closed" (such as by pressing the "x" in the upper right hand corner), that instead of disconnecting all sessions and closing, that it disconnects all sessions and minimizes instead?
No, such functionality does not presently exist. There are several plausible workarounds and half-measures I can suggest (such as a script to disconnect all the sessions and enable Minimize to Activator in the system tray option in General category of Global Options, etc.) but instead perhaps we should explore the cause of the slowness to connect.
  • What version of SecureCRT is installed?

• On what OS?

• You seem to indicate this delay occurs only with ad hoc sessions, how do you start those sessions?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 02-03-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post
  • What version of SecureCRT is installed?
  • On what OS?
  • You seem to indicate this delay occurs only with ad hoc sessions, how do you start those sessions?

Currently Running: Version 8.7.0 (x64 build 2134) - Beta Release - January 28, 2020
However, the 'issue' still exists when running the latest non-beta release. I have not found the beta to start in any way slower than regular releases. (Current beta contains a bugfix I've been looking forward to)

Starting Sessions:

It's not really a specific problem with ad-hoc sessions, as much as it is that if I'm ad-hoccing a session, SecureCRT isn't likely already open. If I'm working from defined sessions, I've already taken the hit of opening SecureCRT.

Starting a ad-hoc session usually consists of sitting at a cmd prompt, and just invoking securecrt towards and ip address or host name. ie, literally typing 'securecrt bob@192.168.1.132'. But there's no real timing difference between that, a shortcut, a recent session from the activator, etc..

They all start with SecureCRT not running at all.
Then about 3-4 seconds for the icon to appear in the system tray.
Then about 2 seconds or so for the main window to appear.
(I presume during one of these pauses it's reading and parsing the session database, and I have over 300 sessions)
Then the tab appears, then connects.
All times are averages, all times vary +/-. All times are absolutely smoked by running putty bob@192.168.1.132.

I take it as a given that SecureCRT will take longer to start from scratch. I'm just trying to find ways to avoid the 'start from scratch' bit by hook or by crook.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:10 PM

Hi kdmorse,

What authentication method do you typically use?

If it's not GSSAPI/Kerberos, what are the results if you turn those off per the graphic shown below?

You would change Default Session because it's the template for ad hoc connections.
Attached Images
File Type: png SCRT_SessionOptions_SSH2_Disable_GSSAPI_and_Kerberos.png (36.4 KB, 62 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 02-03-2020, 07:45 PM

Interesting idea, but it didn't make a difference of note.

Let me turn the question around - on an average Windows 10 PC, if SecureCRT is not running, and you launch an ad-hoc session - how long before you see the UI is present, initialized, the session tab appears, and a login prompt is ready for your attention?
Old 02-04-2020, 11:05 AM

Hi kdmorse,

Less than 2 seconds with about 300 sessions spread across 10 folders.

Your config is on the local SSD drive?

I think the only way to see if there's anything interfering (and if there is, if anything can be done about it) with normal startup of the config is to get a Process Monitor log. See attachment.

Please do not post that log in the forums. Send it to support@vandyke.com with subject line of Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #14060.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ProcMon Usage - Gather debug info about a process.pdf (449.8 KB, 13 views)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 02-11-2020, 11:03 PM

I owe you an answer. I just haven't had time to run the experriment. I will get back to you.