Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General

Old 12-21-2007, 02:04 PM

Exclamation Possible Bug - hyphen gets removed on paste in window

I use SCRT to manage my Cisco switches. When I copy a string such as this:

"interface range gi 6/10 12 , gi 6/15 16 , gi 6/27 28, gi 6/37 38, gi 6/35"

and paste it into my SCRT session, the hyphens are removed. I have to manually edit the line and re-add the hyphens. This is very annoying. I know it is SCRT that is doing it because it doesn't matter what application I do the copy from, (notepad, PSPad, etc...) it always removes the hyphens.

It is easily duplicatable.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2007, 02:17 PM

Hi Zeldar,

I've tried to reproduce this here.

I can reproduce this if I use a text editor like Word or just copy the command from this forum post.

I can't reproduce this if I create the command line in Notepad itself and then copy it to SecureCRT.

Some text editors and this forum can use a special characters for the '-' or other symbols. Although it looks the same in the editor, the actual ASCII code for the character being used is very different.

It is the ASCII code that determines what is displayed in SecureCRT. For example, when copying from this post, the '-' was replaced with a 'u' with a '^' over the top. However, the same command manually typed in Notepad correctly shows a '-'.

If the command is created in Notepad and then copied into SecureCRT, does the dash appear?

Teresa

Teresa Nygren

Last edited by tnygren; 12-21-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Thumbs up

I am getting the same result. If I type the command into Notepad, then copy and paste it into SecureCRT, it is fine. If I copy the command from a Word document and paste it into Notepad and then copy it from Notepad and paste it into SCRT, I still have the problem. I also tested this with PUTTY and I have a similar problem. In PUTTY, the hyphens show up as dots...

On further examination, I coverted the text in Word from Courier New to Arial font and noticed that the hyphens that don't show up in SCRT are actually a long-hyphen character in Arial. The peculiar thing is that they don't look any different when pasted into Notepad or PSPad. The hyphens even look normal when I paste the string into a Windows Command Prompt window.

Thanks for the clarification. I must admit, I always was of the impression that if I pasted a string into a plain text editor like Notepad or PSPad, it would remove all of the extended formatting junk, but apparently in this case, it does not.

Time to go home!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:46 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi zeldar,

I believe the issue you are experiencing is similar to the one addressed in the forum post referenced below:
http://forums.vandyke.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=21
Does the information contained in the referenced forum post help to resolve the issue?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:28 AM

As suggested, I tried adding each of the following three lines to my global.ini file, but each time, the hyphens cut from my word document did not paste.

S:"Clipboard Data Format"=VDS_TEXT
S:"Clipboard Data Format"=CF_TEXT
S:"Clipboard Data Format"=CF_UNICODE

I'm using Version 5.0.3 (build 1040) official release 9/8/05.
Do I need a newer version?
Does it matter where in the ini file the "Clipboard" line appears?
Old 10-29-2008, 01:22 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi asmartin88,

As per the post you referenced below, the feature was added to SecureCRT version 5.2 and newer.

If you send your serial number to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Attn: Todd - forum thread #2657, I can see if your license is valid for SecureCRT 5.2.

Does this information help to answer your question?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730