VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT 5.1/SecureFX 3.1/VShell 2.6 Beta
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2004, 06:02 PM

Question I18n & charsets

Maybe it's user error, but it sure looks like a bug (or missing feature) in CRT...

Using SecureCRT 5 (build 385), I'm having trouble seeing Russian text from my remote Linux box. Following the same steps in PuTTY, I see the correct characters.

In SecureCRT, I'm using Courier New with the script set to Western[1]. I login and do the following:
Code:
-bash-2.05b$ echo $TERM
xterm
-bash-2.05b$ locale
LANG=ru_RU.koi8r
LC_CTYPE="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_NUMERIC="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_TIME="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_COLLATE="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_MONETARY="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_MESSAGES="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_PAPER="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_NAME="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_ADDRESS="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_TELEPHONE="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ru_RU.koi8r"
LC_ALL=
-bash-2.05b$ ls
Краски - Весна.m3u
-bash-2.05b$ ls | cat -v
M-kM-RM-AM-SM-KM-I - M-wM-EM-SM-NM-A.m3u
In PuTTY (0.55) using the same font, same server, same directory, same environment, same account, I see:
Code:
-bash-2.05b$ ls
Краски - Весна.m3u
which is correct.

1: In SCRT, if I select the "cyrillic" script (in the Font dialog), it changes the output to look like this:
Code:
-bash-2.05b$ ls
лТБУЛЙ - чЕУОБ.m3u
Which makes just as little sense regardless of one's ability to read Russian.

The fact that changing the script setting in the font dialog has any effect suggests that the unicode characters are being stripped down to 8bit before the font is rendered.

Is there a setting somewhere I've missed to enable unicode or is this feature just not implimented?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:50 AM
VanDyke Quality Assurance

TheAmigo -

Sounds like you're pretty close with your Cyrillic display issue.

If you change the output encoding in SecureCRT to UTF-8, do you get better results ? This can be done from Session Options, Appearance, by changing the Character Encoding that is set in the drop-down list of output encodings.

Also, you'll still want to be using the Cyrillic encoding for the font you're using.

Please let us know if this helps.

Cheers~

~JcJ
Old 10-04-2004, 03:22 PM

Selecting UTF-8 changes the output, but it makes it worse

The filename now looks like:
Code:
-bash-2.05b$ ls
???-
If it makes any difference, there's a space after the dash. For completeness, I logged the session and opened it in a hex editor and the ?s are 3F, the dash is a 2D and the space is a 20 so that didn't reveal anything interesting.

If I type text into a file (e.g. cat > file), I can type fine and see what I expect when I cat the file afterwards. However, the characters are all wrong when viewed via other methods (e.g. samba or PuTTY).

I just tried pasting the same string ("Краски - Весна.m3u") from notepad to SCRT and it gets garbled. In the below capture, I ran cat with no args and then pasted the above string:
Code:
-bash-2.05b$ cat
@0A:8 ^@-^@ ^@^R
 ^@-^@ ^@5A=0.^@m^@3^@u^@
^@
[1]+  Stopped                 cat
-bash-2.05b$ 0A:8 - 5A=0.m3u
-bash: 0A:8: command not found
Going the other way (copying from SCRT to notepad) seems to work ok.

I've tried a few other things and now I'm more confused than I was before. I started a new document in notepad (WinXP) and type some Russian text. I saved it (via samba) to a Linux box. I logged in to the Linux box using SCRT. When I ls the file, the name looks wrong. When I cat the file (having symlinked an english name to it) it looks fine. PuTTY has the opposite problem (filename shows correct, but the contents are garbled).

Now, I suspect that either I don't have samba setup right or I'm naming the files wrong (or both, which seems quite possible). So the better test would seem to be ignoring the parts that I've written. Instead, I have more confidence in the native tools (e.g. ls and rm). Running ls -l, the months are written in Russian, but look wrong in SCRT. The same is true if I try to rm a file that doesn't exist... the error message is garbled cyrillic chars in SCRT. The output of both ls and rm appear correct in PuTTY.

So it seems like I have the wrong code page selected in SCRT... is there somewhere else I need to click?
Old 10-05-2004, 01:26 PM

Out of curiosity, what font are you using in this case ?

Thanks~

~JcJ
Old 10-05-2004, 08:56 PM

Courier New for everything.

I think I'm beginning to understand the problem better. It seems that Windows likes to use the Windows-1251 encoding and Linux wants to use the KOI8-R encoding. Best I can tell, neither platform has good support for the other encoding.

Apparently, samba is translating my file names so I can see them properly on both ends (e.g. from the Linux console). But that doesn't help the contents of my files. For the time being, I can't envision a solution for that (as translating file content during transfers would help text at the cost of garbling binary files) other than converting all text files to unicode. As that's rather off-topic for this forum, I welcome any private messages with insights.

Anyway, from the perspective of SCRT, I think I need to change this from reporting a suspected bug to a feature request:

Is it possible to add "KOI8-R" to the current list of encodings that SCRT supports?
Old 10-06-2004, 04:05 PM

The Amigo -

You're essentially correct. Unfortunately, we don't currently provide a built-in output translator for KOI8-R. We've received additional requests for this in the past, and I've added your information to our development database so we can keep you informed should this feature get implemented in the future.

I'm going to PM you with another possibility as well.

Thanks for the feedback~

~JcJ

Edit: I just tried to PM you and it looks like you don't have messaging enabled for your account. If you want to post a regular e-mail address, I'd be happy to engage you that way also. Cheers~

Last edited by jcj; 10-06-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:45 PM

Strange. I edited my prefs a couple days ago to make my email addr publicly available, but it didn't seem to take... while viewing my profile, I click the link to send email and I'm told that TheAmigo's email address is private.

Anyway, you can email me directly at: Amigo@TheAmigo.net
Old 06-02-2005, 04:15 PM
VanDyke Product Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmigo
Anyway, from the perspective of SCRT, I think I need to change this from reporting a suspected bug to a feature request:

Is it possible to add "KOI8-R" to the current list of encodings that SCRT supports?
Since my post is so late, you may have already found it, but support for KOI8-R character encoding has been available since beta 4. We haven't received much feedback about it, so I'd be interested to know how it works for you.

Maureen