Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > File Transfer

Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to GregFlint
Date/time sync w/out file transfer

I recently had a situation where, due to daylight savings time, many of my files showed as being out of sync by an hour. I've also had things off by 1 or 2 seconds due to the difference in how MS Windows and some of my Linux machines store time values.

The suggested response was to go ahead and re-transfer the files to re-sync things. I have done that for some of my more commonly used files.

However, I have some 60+ Gbytes of backups to re-sync, including about 32 Gbytes that would have to go via 21.6K dial-up. Doable, but not pleasant.

What I'd like is to suggest is that you add "Sync time to remote" and "Sync time to local" to the Synchronize Session Properties / Options / Direction choices where the only thing done is to change the time on the appropriate machine for the out-of-sync files.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:56 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi GregFlint,

Thanks for the request. Do you need the ability to synchronize the timestamps, or would the ability to ignore the 1 to 2 second difference in time stamps when synchronizing the files meet your needs?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM

I would prefer something that did actual time sync-ing because of my one-hour DST problem that is causing me to do significant file transfers to try to re-sync.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 AM

Hi GregFlint,

Thanks for the confirmation. I have created a feature request in our SecureFX development database to add the ability to synchronize only timestamps. Should a future release of SecureFX have this capability, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 12-29-2014, 02:04 PM

Follow-up to Date/time sync w/out file transfer

It's been about four years since I asked if there could be a Sync type that would only sync the times rather than require a file transfer [of known-to-be-identical] files.

Just wondered if there has been any progress or thoughts on that idea in the past four years.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:54 PM

Hello GregFlint,

Feature requests are typically prioritized based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, the number of requests and the amount of implementation work required.

We have received requests for this feature, but it has not yet become a top priority for implementation.

Number of requests is the only factor I have any information about and your direct email request (and this forum thread) are the only customer requests for that functionality so far.

From the prior post, it seems the heart of the issue is a Daylight Savings Time issue.

What version of SecureFX are you using?

What protocol is being used for these sync operations?

Is there another product you have used that synchronizes just the timestamps? (If so, what is it?)

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730