Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > Scripting

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 09:57 AM

password management for sessions

I'm using sfxcl.exe from a Perl script to move files from an sftp server. I have everything working but I'm wondering what will happen when someone else needs to change the password that is stored in the session.

Right now the session is under my login directory to the server. When another user runs SecureFX this session won't be visable. I need to document how they can change the password. When I run SecureFX I don't see a way to change the path where the sessions are located. Can the ini file simply be moved to a directory under the current users login directory?
Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi script scribe,

It seems like there could be many possibilities to resolve this issue, but I think that the easiest would be to ensure that the users have their own session of the same name in the same location in the Sessions folder with their password saved. For example:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\VanDyke\Config\Sessions\SessionA
Here is an SFXCL example for using this:
sfxcl ... /S SessionA ...
This SFXCL command-line assumes that you and the user have a session called SessionA in the root of the Sessions folder in the Config folder.

If you don't want to rely on the configuration folder that is defined for the user, you could use the following:
sfxcl /F C:\Automated Session\Config ... /S SessionA ...
The "/F" command-line option will point to a configuration folder to use rather than the one defined for the user in SecureFX, but it is important to note that this option points to a configuration folder, not a session.

Does this help to answer your question?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM

session passwords with an automated script

Thanks for the reply. I realized as I read your answer I didn't state my question very well or give enough detail.

I am writing a program that will be scheduled to run under a service account. It will use sfxcl.exe to download files every day from an sftp server. The username and password to log in to the sftp server will be stored in a session. Right now that session is under my user directory.

I need to set this up so that someone else can log in with their login and can still change the password for the session that the service account running the script will use to call sfxcl. I have already specified the /F option with the path to the VanDyke\config folder. But right now that folder is in "Docs & settings\myusername".

I would like to change the location of the config folder to a folder I have set up for the project I'm working on. When someone else runs SecureFX will they be able to find the config folder I specify?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:27 PM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi script scribe,

It sounds like you want someone to open SecureFX when logged into the same machine as a different user, and have them open to the configuration folder that you are using.

If this is the case, then the easiest way to accomplish this is to place the Config folder in the SecureFX installation folder (by doing so, it is not necessary to use the "/F" command-line option).

If you are running an operating system that restricts access to Program Files, then you will need to change the NTFS permissions for the Config folder so that anyone can access it.

Does this help to answer your question?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 02-17-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: