Welcome to the VanDyke Software Forums

Join the discussion today!

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > SecureCRT on the Mac

Old 10-03-2018, 11:09 PM

Local Shell - strange bash prompt

Hi guys,

When I hit command-L for a local shell tab, I get the following bash prompt

37;RemoteHost=waynes@Waynes-MacBook-Pro.local37;CurrentDir=/Users/waynes37;ShellIntegrationVersion=11;shell=bash3;C;37;RemoteHost=waynes@Waynes-MacBook-Pro.local37;CurrentDir=/Users/waynes3;D;03;AWaynes-MacBook-Pro:~ waynes$ 3;B
3;C;37;RemoteHost=waynes@Waynes-MacBook-Pro.local37;CurrentDir=/Users/waynes3;D;03;AWaynes-MacBook-Pro:~ waynes$ 3;B
3;C;37;RemoteHost=waynes@Waynes-MacBook-Pro.local37;CurrentDir=/Users/waynes3;D;03;AWaynes-MacBook-Pro:~ waynes$ 3;B

Anyone else getting this or know how to fix?

SCRT Version 8.5.0 (build 1740)
MacOS 10.14

Many thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 08:50 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi waynespa,

Do you see the same issue in Mac's native Terminal app?

Do you (or have you in the past) had iTerm2 installed on this machine?

If so, I believe this is because iTerm customizations (due to enabling Shell Integration) to the environment are not compatible with a native Xterm terminal. There are escape sequences that don't mean anything to an Xterm; they end up resulting in the display of the garbage since SecureCRT doesn't know how to interpret the iTerm2 specific customizations (and SecureCRT shouldn't be expected to know how to handle these custom-to-iterm2 sequences).

Since only iTerm (or other "in-the-know" apps) can interpret the customized escape sequences, you will need to follow instructions on disabling iterm2's Shell Integration, or have a Logon Action in SecureCRT for your local shell connections (the default session) to do something like below (YouTube video demonstrating Default Session):

Code:
  Expect:      waynes$ 3;B
  Send:        export PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]2;${USER}@{$HOSTNAME}\007"'
Here's links to a couple forum posts about Logon Actions:

https://forums.vandyke.com/showpost....60&postcount=6

https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=13260

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database for an option for SecureCRT to nicely handle the customizations associated with iterm2's Shell Integration. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #13279" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 10-06-2018, 06:34 AM

Solved

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for the reply you were 100% correct

I removed the iTerm2 Shell integration and used this guide https://www.alexkras.com/remove-shel...n-from-iterm2/
Old 10-06-2018, 11:24 AM

Hi waynespa,

Great! Thanks for posting the link for others.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730
Old 11-08-2018, 06:34 AM

Cool How to change the prompt specifically

I'm still trying to figure out where to change the prompt of the local shell. Is it in the Advanced in Terminal Session Options? If so, what do I put in and where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgagnon View Post
Hi waynespa,

Do you see the same issue in Mac's native Terminal app?

Do you (or have you in the past) had iTerm2 installed on this machine?

If so, I believe this is because iTerm customizations (due to enabling Shell Integration) to the environment are not compatible with a native Xterm terminal. There are escape sequences that don't mean anything to an Xterm; they end up resulting in the display of the garbage since SecureCRT doesn't know how to interpret the iTerm2 specific customizations (and SecureCRT shouldn't be expected to know how to handle these custom-to-iterm2 sequences).

Since only iTerm (or other "in-the-know" apps) can interpret the customized escape sequences, you will need to follow instructions on disabling iterm2's Shell Integration, or have a Logon Action in SecureCRT for your local shell connections (the default session) to do something like below (YouTube video demonstrating Default Session):

Code:
  Expect:      waynes$ 3;B
  Send:        export PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]2;${USER}@{$HOSTNAME}\007"'
Here's links to a couple forum posts about Logon Actions:

https://forums.vandyke.com/showpost....60&postcount=6

https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=13260

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database for an option for SecureCRT to nicely handle the customizations associated with iterm2's Shell Integration. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #13279" in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Hi sybabe,

Changing your local prompt is something that is typically handled outside of SecureCRT. The commands/formatting needed to change your prompt will vary depending on the Operating System you are running on.

What Operating System are you using?

Can you elaborate on the changes you are trying to make? What is your prompt displaying now? What would you like your prompt to be?

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730