VanDyke Software Forums

Go Back   VanDyke Software Forums > General
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 AM

SecureCRT opens in black with ANSI Color enabled

Hi,

I prefer my GUIs with a light and my terminal sessions with a dark background (like probably most people).

Unfortunately, when I choose Global Options > Terminal > Advanced > Color Schemes > Monochrome, SecureCRT starts all black - even when no sessions are open (see screenshot).

Only, when I disable Global Options > General > Default Session > Edit Default Settings > Terminal > Emulation > ANSI Color, SecureCRT starts with a light background (see screenshot). But of course, I want ANSI support in my session, so I have to remember to enable it manually on all my new sessions.

Can this be fixed/changed?!
Attached Images
File Type: png SecureCRT - no tabs open.png (30.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: png SecureCRT - no tabs open - light background.png (30.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hi thorsten,

You mention enabling ANSI Color, but you don't mention enabling Use color scheme. If you want SecureCRT to start with a particular color scheme while using ANSI Color, then you need to enable Use color scheme either in the Default Session or for a particular session via the Session Options dialog.

Does this help to resolve the issue?

As a note, I read your post again, and realized that it seems you are attempting to set a global color scheme from the Global Options dialog. This is not possible. The color scheme can be defined/edited in the Global Options dialog, but using a color scheme is a per session option. The information above is referring to editing the Default Session.

You may want to take a look at the tip we have about color in SecureCRT. The tip at the following location attempts to explain how to use ANSI color and color schemes in SecureCRT:
http://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/colorconfig.html

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 05-01-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb View Post
As a note, I read your post again, and realized that it seems you are attempting to set a global color scheme from the Global Options dialog. [/B].
No, I want SecureCRT to have a white background when it's initially started (no sessions opened) but all sessions white on black background. Pretty simple.

Quote:
You may want to take a look at the tip we have about color in SecureCRT. The tip at the following location attempts to explain how to use ANSI color and color schemes in SecureCRT:
http://www.vandyke.com/support/tips/colorconfig.html
The above link is wrong. You can choose "use color scheme" but you cannot choose a color scheme there (or anywhere else) That's why I modified the default monochrome color scheme to be white on black instead black on white. This works but only if you don't choose ANSI colors in the settings of the default session. Then the SecureCRT starts black as my screen shots showed
Attached Images
File Type: png no color scheme to select.png (37.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by thorsten; 05-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:51 PM

Hi thorsten,

Would you specifically indicate where the tip is wrong?

We would like to get it fixed, or clarify a section that is not helpful.

What version of SecureCRT are you currently using?

The color scheme is defined on a per session basis in the Terminal / Appearance category of the Session Options dialog or for ad hoc connections in the Terminal / Appearance category of the Default Session.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730

Last edited by rtb; 05-01-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Hi thorsten,

Would you specifically indicate where the tip is wrong?

As a note, before publishing the tip, we tested every portion of it.

What version of SecureCRT are you currently using?

The color scheme is defined on a per session basis in the Terminal / Appearance category of the Session Options dialog or the Default Session.
Okay, my mistake. I mixed up Terminal > Emulation > "Use Color Scheme" and Terminal > Appearance > Current Color Scheme.

Anyway, it doesn't change my initial statement: if you choose a white on black color scheme there and enable ANSI colors then SecureCRT will start black. This is a bug because the settings I choose for my sessions should not influence SecureCRT appearance when no session is opened.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Hi thorsten,

In SecureCRT 6.7 and older, the Default Session is used in the following cases:
  • Initial start-up
  • Ad hoc
  • New session creation
FYI, SecureCRT 7.0 introduces new behavior with regards to initial start-up. The Default Session is not used when launching because no tab is drawn, so a gray background is substituted. Does this sound like something that might meet your needs?

If so, SecureCRT 7.0 beta1 will soon be publicly available for testing. If you would like to test it sooner, please send a message to support@vandyke.com with a subject of Attn: Todd - Forum thread 10438.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
505-332-5730
Old 07-09-2013, 04:40 PM
VanDyke Product Director

SecureCRT now honors the default background color at startup. This change was made in a pre-beta version of SecureCRT. If you would like to try it, please send email to me at Maureen.Jett@vandyke.com.

Maureen