View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 08:58 AM
VanDyke Technical Support

Hello Nolan,

That's a lot of questions. I may not have answers to them all, but I will try my best. I also have a few clarifying questions.

(Thanks for your input Casey!)

Quote:
1. Can I use a combination of literal strings and regex strings?
Do you mean for the list itself? In other words, first entry is a literal, second entry is a regex, etc.? If so, the answer is yes.

Actually, I guess the answer is yes in either case. If you mean, for example, the entry is part literal and part regex (ie: 2014\-\d+\-\d+ would highlight dates in form of yyyy-mm-dd).

Quote:
2. If I want case sensitivities to be applied to a particular string but not others, would I have to use a regex string for that?
I am not sure I understand the context for the above inquiry. Can you provide a "real-world example"?

What I *think* you are asking is a way to apply "Match case" per line, is that accurate?

Quote:
3. What's the reason for not allowing spaces in the regular experessions? The program says that it can't use regex strings with spaces, but in other programs I can use the literal space character as well as \s to indicate a space without a problem?
That is another feature request (to support phrases). Presently a space is a delimiter for regular expressions.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to support substring and phrase matches in keyword highlighting (regex). Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, contact support@vandyke.com and include "Feature Request - Forum Thread #11750" in the subject line.

Quote:
4. If I wanted to match a string and then highlight the whole line or a series of characters/words following the line, how would/can I do this?
If spaces are involved, see above. Otherwise, you would use .*.

Quote:
5. Once I've created a list with one entry and applied it to a session which is still connected, it will highlight the first keyword in the list but no others. It seems that I have to completely shutdown SecureCRT before the list reads all the other key word highlighting rules. Disconnecting from the session is not sufficient. Am I doing something wrong?

Sorry....I meant to say that I don't have to close SecureCRT. The keyword highlighting change only takes effect if I close the session/tab. If I disconnect and reconnect, it still doesn't apply the list. Not sure if that's by design?
It seems your later post was an update to #5, but I still don't understand the current behavior.

Could you post screenshots showing both the list configuration and highlighted results?

If it contains sensitive data, please attach to an email and send to support@vandyke.com and reference "Attn Brenda - Forum Thread #11750".

Quote:
6. Can you provide a more extensive list of sample regex strings that are compatible with SecureCRT?
Since regex strings are subjective based on the output you are trying to parse, I think it would be a little difficult to provide more "real-world" examples, but I have made a feature request for additional documentation.

The "standard" we used for our regex support is ECMAScript.

Quote:
7. What's the maximum number of (regex/literal) strings I can add before SecureCRT starts to have a noticeable slowdown in performance?
For #7, I don't know of any documented, finite limit. Casey is a definitely a power user of SecureCRT, so I will defer to his experience.

VanDyke Software
Technical Support
support@vandyke.com
(505) 332-5730