View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 AM

connecting from home to office, excel vba myodbc

Here is my situation:

At work, in the office, we have Verizon DSL, with a Westel modem, and two Dell Windows XP(professional), connected peer to peer. The mysql server is on my desktop. By the way, I can successfully log into that machine from my home dell xp using logmein.

What I want is to have an excel vba application at home connect to the mysql server at work. I gather from reading that it is through port 3306.

I have used canyouseeme.org on both server machine and client machine, to see the actual ip address. On my home machine I have used Westell 192.168.1.1 to enable a static ip address.

I have disabled the Zonealarm fire wall on the office machine.

I have googled for many articles on setting up tunneling with products like SecureCRT, Putty, etc.

I find it VERY confusing to understand which machine (home or office) I am supposed to configure what and how, and which IP addresses I should be using.

But, when I simply use the Microsoft ODBC utility to define a DSN for my odbc, I can see that the connection is being refused by the remote machine.

I also found a commandline TCP command which will test the actual port (e.g. 192.99.0.6:3306 making up an example quad address).

I am guessing that on both machines, home and office, I must configure the Westel modem to allow a fixed IP address. But I suspect that there are other obscure places in the operating system, where I should be allowing or enabling something.

I would be most happy if I could find a host for mysql, which would allow remote access via myodbc in vba.

It would be helpful to see a step by step instructions, explicitly saying:

ON THE OFFICE (mysql server machine), you configure SecureCRT in THIS fashion (and clearly state which machines IP address is referenced, or whether it is 127.0.0.1 local host).

ON THE HOME (client odbc excel app), you configure SecureCRT in SOME OTHER FASHION, being very clear about where to put which ip address of which machine.

The instructions that I do manage to find in google seem to address themselves to an audience which is already highly skilled and versed in various terminology.

What I am trying to accomplish should not be rocket science, I should think. I mean, products like logmein.com seem to install in a snap of easiness.

Someone should create a wizard of sorts, to configure a remote and a server machine, so that the average man in the street might be able to do these things without hours of struggling.

Thanks so much in advance, for any help or suggestions.