VanDyke Software Forums

VanDyke Software Forums (https://forums.vandyke.com/index.php)
-   General (https://forums.vandyke.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   session manager sorting (https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=11527)

koenv 05-28-2014 02:33 AM

session manager sorting

If this doesn't exist yet (I could not find it) then consider this a feature request please.

Currently the Session Manager sorts everything alphabetically using the hostnames. Works great most of the time but every so often I only know the ip address and I need to hover over all the session the find the session I'm looking for.

I would be very nice to have a toggle so that instead of hostnames I would be able to see the ip addresses directly and have it sorted according to ip address at the same time.

rtb 05-28-2014 07:37 AM

Hi Koenv,

I am not sure I understand your goal. The Session Manager will display the session name that is stored in the Connection category of the Session Options dialog. The hostname is only displayed if one hovers over the session name.

The Session Manager does have the ability to sort session names using various methods. If you right click on a session, you will see an option named Arrange Tree>, and if you click on that option, you will see three method available. If you select Logically rather than Alphabetically, any session names that are IP addresses will be sorted a little differently.

Does this help?

If not, can you provide more details as to your goal?

Do you want the Session Manager to display the hostname for a session rather than the session name?

Olaf van der Spek 06-08-2014 10:46 AM

Hi Todd,

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtb (Post 41589)
The hostname is only displayed if one hovers over the session name.

I (and perhaps others) just use the host name as session name.
Quote:

If you select Logically rather than Alphabetically, any session names that are IP addresses will be sorted a little differently.
Is there any reason to not use logical sorting?
Perhaps the Find option is what Koenv is looking for?

koenv 08-03-2014 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtb (Post 41589)
Hi Koenv,

If not, can you provide more details as to your goal?

Do you want the Session Manager to display the hostname for a session rather than the session name?

Correct. Currently the session manager displays the Connection Name per default and the SSH hostname when hovering over it.
I would like a trigger to inverse this behavior.

Imagine this.. per default the session manager lists the logical names which works great as that is the name everybody knows.
Then I go debug something and all I get returned is the ip address (aka SSH hostname).

Sure I can use the Find function to find any host here but
1) that find isn't limited to my current folder so might give me sessions from other customers (~folders).
2) it is very labor intensive if I need to do this a few times.

So again, a checkbox in the session manager that would let me switch what is displayed in there would be useful to me.

I understand this would not be very useful for those people that have proper DNS in place and can just work with actual hostnames but for people like me stuck with ip addresses I think this could be very useful.

rtb 08-04-2014 01:16 PM

Hi Koenv,

Thanks for the use case. I have created a feature request to add an option to display and sort on hostname vs. connection name. If we add this feature we will post to this thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request