VanDyke Software Forums

VanDyke Software Forums (https://forums.vandyke.com/index.php)
-   General (https://forums.vandyke.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ideas for syncing sCRT with colleagues (https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=10294)

koenv 02-08-2012 11:36 AM

Ideas for syncing sCRT with colleagues

Hey everyone,
Finally managed to convince to powers that be to get secureCRT for all the network engineers.. hooray.. no more buying secureCRT myself :P

Since we now will have the same software sharing of the sessions etc might be useful. Anyone feel like discussing their solutions for this? I was thinking of abusing a simple syncing tool for this but perhaps someone has a better solution?

koenv 02-15-2012 07:38 AM

nobody got anything setup to share the session between different people?
Anything Vandyke can recommend?

rtb 02-15-2012 08:36 AM

Hi koenv,

We apologize for not responding sooner.

SecureCRT does not offer a method to synchronize sessions between multiple installations. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT enhancement database to add the ability to do this. Should a future release of SecureCRT have a sync option, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request
In the meantime, can you tell me more about how you plan to use the SecureCRT session database?

How many sessions do you plan to have defined?

Do you plan to allow any SecureCRT user to add new sessions to the common configuration?

Casey 02-29-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koenv (Post 35515)
nobody got anything setup to share the session between different people?
Anything Vandyke can recommend?

The only option I'm aware of is to move your sessions folder to a network share and have everyone point to it (Tool / Global Options / Config Folder). The downside is that things may be a little slower since every "phone book" access now requires a network call.

Also, since your phone book is now on the network, you may need to utilizes Windows' 'offline folder' feature in order to keep your phone book accessible when not on the network.

koenv 05-08-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtb (Post 35516)
Hi koenv,

We apologize for not responding sooner.

SecureCRT does not offer a method to synchronize sessions between multiple installations. I have created a feature request in our SecureCRT enhancement database to add the ability to do this. Should a future release of SecureCRT have a sync option, we will post to this forum thread.

If you would like to be notified directly, please complete and submit the form at the following location:
Submit Feature Request
In the meantime, can you tell me more about how you plan to use the SecureCRT session database?

How many sessions do you plan to have defined?

Do you plan to allow any SecureCRT user to add new sessions to the common configuration?

Usage: simply share the session list among colleages. So in a team of 5 engineers when 1 would add/update a session this would be replicated to the other 4 engineers.
All 4 should be able to add/change/delete stuff that gets synced. In an ideal world this would work with users and user-rights but I'd be happy with a basic sync where everybody sets read/write right on their own installation or even a most basic sync where everyone may do everything.

Number of sessions: currently a few 100.

rtb 05-08-2012 09:27 AM

Hi koenv,

Thanks for the update. Have you considered placing the configuration folder on the network for all users to access?

In the past, using a configuration folder from the network has not had the best performance and this only got worse as the configuration folder got larger. SecureCRT 7.0 has improved performance in this regard, so you may want to test SecureCRT 7.0b1 with your configuration folder on a network share to see if this would meet your needs.

mbichl 05-13-2012 08:32 AM

Re: Syncing Session Creation between Users

I would pipe with supporting some type of feature to allow a team of 5 ro 10 Network Engineers to keep a config folder or parts of it the same.
Why
We too have a small team of Sr and Jr Network Engineers, and as we migrate and add devices, the seniors, it would be nice if there seemed to be an import for the juniors, keeping them congruent. We do not want the performance lag or just how we run around from site to site gums up the network share idea.

I think this would be a worth it "feature request" if there isn't an adhoc way to get to the end.
thanks

rtb 05-14-2012 07:48 AM

Hi mbichl,

SecureCRT 7.0b1 has much better performance when using a shared configuration folder on a network location. Have you tested this version of SecureCRT?

If not, would you test it and let us know if the performance you see meets your needs?

Olaf van der Spek 05-20-2012 10:00 AM

What about using version control like SVN to share the sessions (and maybe other stuff)?

parentch 06-05-2012 01:58 PM

Synching

It's not a perfect solution, and I wish Van Dyke would come up with a built-in option, but one of the ways we do it, (BTW we have about 50 people who use SecureCRT daily), is we have one person that keeps a "Master Copy" and update request to the Master get sent to him as needed.

Once he makes the changes, he runs a very basic DOS FTP script that uploads the zip of the sessions folder to a shared FTP server. Then from time to time, the 50 users run a VB script that I made that automatically gos out and downloads the ZIP file, learns via the windows registry where the users sessions are stored, deletes the current copy, and then finally extracts the ZIP file.

It works pretty good but I'm not really a programmer so a real developer might laugh if they read the code but it does the job. However if anyone is interested, I would be happy to share what I got.

rtb 06-05-2012 03:32 PM

Hi parentch,

Thanks for posting your solution for those in the forums. As mentioned previously in this thread, we will post an update should we add the ability to synchronize sessions between multiple SecureCRT installations.

vtphilk 06-05-2012 04:42 PM

Baffles me why Vandyke has not worked on this more in the past few years. I complained about it years ago. Supporting a mysql or lightsql database that could easily be synced would be so much easier and likely faster than the .ini's they do now.

We have about 40-50 engineers that share about 2000 session files that change frequently. Connecting over the network was not even an option for one it was brutally slow. For two we cannot trust that we will have access to the network share when we VPN into a secure network. I have not tested too much the beta over the network but I can say our 2000 file browser does seem to open much faster with 7.x beta.

We currently do as someone else above mentioned. We have a series of VBS scripts that I built into a custom menu file we created and have a send session data script then get session data. The send zips all the sessions then pushes to a server which every minute parses the files in the zip to compare with the 'master' list. Then when the next user downloads the updated information is available.

However, recently we have decided to write a site access database and one of our perl experts wrote a GUI in perl. From this GUI we are calling SecureCRT from the CLI and launching sessions. Then this GUI has a lightSQL database that we keep synced using transaction logs so it can sync changes virtually instantly. So bye bye SecureCRT session files!

I wish vandyke had productized a database but this is the direction we are moving. Still get the SecureCRT interface however can use a much more robust database.

Most everything can be run from the command line with SecureCRT with the exception of telnet however I wrote a VBS to get around that limitation.

Aralis 10-25-2012 12:59 PM

I also requested this two years ago in in Forum topic:
http://forums.vandyke.com/showthread...7689#post37689
Still no news on if they are going to implement it.

In the mean time a version control system does semi accomplish this task.
I've setup a git repo and have excluded __FolderData__.ini which allows users to share the same sessions in general.

dionysus 01-31-2013 06:53 AM

I am trying something similar but I don't have programming skills to automate it. I am simply copying my session files and distributing them to the rest of the team. The problem with that is that there are a few hard coded folder paths in the session .ini files (eg. log, upload/download, login script). Therefore the rest of the team need to have the same directory structure (I'm trying to enforce this) or need to edit the files to get them to work.

It would be really nice to have some way of export/importing the session files between users that would adapt to these weaknesses. Perhaps application variables would work instead of hard coded paths.

rtb 01-31-2013 10:38 AM

Hi dionysus,

Thanks for the feedback. We will post to this thread should we add the ability to export and import sessions.

Submit Feature Request
In the meantime, SecureCRT does support the ability to use environment variables, so this is one way you might be able to accomplish your goal.
For example, you could place all of the data in the configuration folder, and use the following:
%APPDATA%\VanDyke\Config\Log
or
%APPDATA%\VanDyke\Config\Script
Using this method, the folder structure would be contained in the configuration folder and you would not need to have each user create the folder structure.