VanDyke Software Forums

VanDyke Software Forums (https://forums.vandyke.com/index.php)
-   Scripting (https://forums.vandyke.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Script to download and compare configs (https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=11948)

Damon 04-15-2015 01:19 PM

Script to download and compare configs

Hi all,

Is there a script to download configs of multiple routers/switch and compare for config differences? I am auditing hundreds of devices that are missing some commands and comparing them against known good configuration devices and documenting which commands are missing. There has to be an easier way to do this than comparing each and everyone with different similar devices. :)

Thanks
Damon

rtb 04-15-2015 01:48 PM

Hi Damon,

We don't have an example that does what you are asking, but it seems like it would be possible to modify the example at the following location to meet your needs:
https://forums.vandyke.com/showthrea...7294#post37294
Are you able to create your own solution using the example as a beginning point?

Damon 04-17-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtb (Post 43791)
Hi Damon,

We don't have an example that does what you are asking, but it seems like it would be possible to modify the example at the following location to meet your needs:
https://forums.vandyke.com/showthrea...7294#post37294
Are you able to create your own solution using the example as a beginning point?

I am working on it. I will share once its presentable :)

thera34 05-13-2015 04:02 AM

Hi Damon,

I also had a similar issue with hundreds of Cisco switches/routers to backup their config.
So I made this script which uses a single "devices.txt" file where I store IPaddress/hostname/username/password/enable password separated by ";" on each line. It then reads it , connects to each one, saves configs in form of "hostname".txt files

-devices.txt file is located on same folder as the script
-I also connect first to a Linux server before connecting to devices.

Hope it helps out and let me know if you have some other improvement ideas :)

Code:

#$language = "VBScript"
#$interface = "1.0"

' Test Script to log in via SSH/telnet and enters in privileged mode
' IF enable password is not set or you connect with TACACS/Radius directly in privileged mode,
' then comment the lines after Loop until the next comment section
' This version uses only one "devices.txt" file to store IP Address;hostname;username;password;enable password

Dim g_objTab
Set g_objTab = crt.GetScriptTab

Sub Main
        CRT.Screen.synchronous = True
        If crt.Session.Logging Then                                                                ' Turn off session logging before setting up our script's
          crt.Session.Log False                                                                        ' logging... if needed
        End If
                Dim fso                                                                                                        ' Declaring filesystemobject
                Dim fil                                                                                                        ' Declaring file containing devices
                Dim vWaitFors                                                                                        ' Array to determine if RSA key is known, also to determine if SSH or Telnet is enabled
                vWaitFors = Array("(yes/no)?",_
                                                        "port 22: Connection refused",_
                                                        "assword:")
                Const DEVICE_FILE_PATH = ".\devices.txt"                                ' Path to devices list (can be modified, now it points to same folder where script is located)
                Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                Set fil = fso.OpenTextFile(DEVICE_FILE_PATH)                        ' Open devices file
        While Not fil.AtEndOfStream                                                                        ' Read devices.txt. Until not EOF do :
                line = fil.ReadLine                                                                                ' Read line by line
                Device = Split(line, ";")(0)                                                        ' Device's IP address
                hostname = Split(line,";")(1)                                                        ' hostname - for easy human read
                username = Split(line,";")(2)                                                        ' username to connect to device
                pass = Split(line,";")(3)                                                                ' password for username
                pass2 = Split(line,";")(4)                                                                ' password to enter privileged mode if needed
                crt.Screen.Send "ssh " + username + "@" + Device & chr(13)        ' First try to connect via SSH to device
                Do
                Dim nResult       
                nResult = crt.Screen.WaitForStrings(vWaitFors)
                Select Case nResult                                                                                ' Now determine if RSA key has to be added or not in SSH case or try via Telnet
                        Case 1                                                                                                ' RSA key for /.ssh/known_hosts must be added
                crt.Screen.Send "yes" & chr(13)                                                        ' so send and "yes"
                crt.Screen.WaitForString "assword:"                                                ' then wait for password prompt
                crt.Screen.Send pass & chr(13)                                                        ' and send pass
                        Case 2                                                                                                ' SSH not enabled on device, then go for telnet
                crt.Screen.Send "telnet " + Device & chr(13)
                crt.Screen.WaitForString "sername:"
                crt.Screen.Send username & chr(13)
                crt.Screen.WaitForString "assword:"
                crt.Screen.Send pass & chr(13)
                        Case 3                                                                                                ' RSA key already learned
                crt.Screen.Send pass & chr(13)                                                        ' just send pass from credentials file
                End Select
                Exit Do
                Loop
                crt.Screen.WaitForString ">"                                                        ' Waits for prompt
                crt.Screen.Send "enable" & chr(13)                                                ' Enable
                crt.Screen.WaitForString "assword:"
                crt.Screen.Send pass2 & chr(13)                                                        ' sends enable pass
                crt.Screen.WaitForString "#"                                                        ' waits for privileged mode prompt
                ' From now on, just put whatever commands you need for your device
                ' use crt.Screen.Send "command" & chr(13) --- to send what you want, chr(13) stands for ENTER key
                ' use after each command an crt.Screen.WaitForString "#" -- to wait for prompt after command's output
                ' Or even better just use SendExpect "command", "prompt" --- see below function
                SendExpect "terminal length 0", hostname + "#"
                crt.Session.logFileName = ".\" + hostname + ".txt"
                crt.Session.Log True
                SendExpect "show running-config", hostname + "#"
                crt.Session.Log False
                ' Commands sent/received output ends here. Next is disconnecting from device       
                SendExpect "exit", "]$ "                                                                ' Closes connection & Waits for Terminal Server prompt and is ready for next device
        Wend       
        fil.Close                                                                                                        ' Close devices file
End Sub                                                                                                                        ' THE END OF THE UNIVERSE AS YOU KNEW IT:)
Function SendExpect(szSend, szExpect)                                                        ' Made this to replace the Screen.Send/Screen.WaitForString pairs
        ' Returns true if the text in 'szSend' was successfully sent and
        ' the text in 'szExpect' was successfully found as a result.
    ' If we're not connected, we can't possibly return true, or even send/recv text

if g_objTab.Session.Connected <> True then exit function

g_objTab.Screen.Send szSend & vbcr
    g_objTab.Screen.WaitForString szExpect

SendExpect = True
End Function

Mrcool007 06-15-2017 08:09 AM

Script

Hello, i have a project in which i have to make a script to download configs of multiple routers/switch and compare for config differences , so actually i saw your script and i don't know how to make it work, can you help me please !