VanDyke Software Forums

VanDyke Software Forums (https://forums.vandyke.com/index.php)
-   General (https://forums.vandyke.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Use firewall and proxy settings with local shell (https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=14324)

unam 10-26-2020 10:29 AM

Use firewall and proxy settings with local shell

Hi,

At the office, we are using SecureCRT to connect to our servers :

laptop --> auth against socks proxy --> ssh bastion --> server

Everything is working fine, I add a firewall type Socks 5 proxy by default for all of my connections, and for ssh purposes, I connect using this scheme : root@myhost:bastionusername

My question is quite simple : is there a way to use this connection scheme (socks + bastion) with local shell ?
In the future I will need to open connection directly from my shell : git for example.

I am running SecureCRT 8.7.3 on Ubuntu 20.10.

Regards,

bgagnon 10-26-2020 12:08 PM

Hi unam,

Yes, this should work with the command-line options available.

Please clarify what you mean by this:

Quote:

...and for ssh purposes, I connect using this scheme : root@myhost:bastionusername
Is this a Send command in the Logon Actions category?

Is that a saved session?

See the topics in Using the Software / Command-Line Options. The Table of Protocol-Specific Command-Line Options shows how you can use /S session_name to connect the session and if you already have the firewall configured in that session, nothing else should be needed. :)

unam 10-26-2020 12:18 PM

Hi bgagnon and thanks for your quick reply.

Sorry for the really bad explanations.

Quote:

...and for ssh purposes, I connect using this scheme : root@myhost:bastionusername
means : For registered sessions :

- Connection -> SSH2 -> Firewall : I add the preconfigured fw
- Connection -> SSH2 -> Username : root@myserver:myusername

I'a gonna read the topics you talk about and will try to find an answer.

I should try to connect a socks5 client from my bash shell, and tried to access a remote ssh server through our danted bastion but SecureCRT already has all the built-in functions :)

Anyway, thank you. Is it more clear for you ?

unam 10-27-2020 05:46 AM

Sadly I'm not sure to have found my solution :(

I try to reformulate my need :

I use a lot of saved SSH sessions in SecureCRT. To access theses sessions:
- I open an ssh session on our bastion (with username root@host:login and hostname: bastion)
- Using firewall (socks proxy with auth).

- Can I used the mechanisms of proxy and firewall from a "local shell" opened in SecureCRT ?

This needs are for example :
git push
ssh copy-id

I tried to load a session config but I'm not sure to understand how it works.

Regards

bgagnon 10-27-2020 11:19 AM

Hi unam,
Quote:

- Can I used the mechanisms of proxy and firewall from a "local shell" opened in SecureCRT ?
If you mean by using ssh as the client, no. OpenSSH does not support using our dependent session functionality. I think they have their own mechanism for proxies and firewalls.

I have added this thread to a feature request in our product enhancement database to allow SecureCRT to work with CVS/SVN/git clients. Should a future release of SecureCRT include this feature, notification will be posted here.

If you prefer direct email notification, send an email to support@vandyke.com and include Feature Request - Forum Thread #14324 in the subject line or use this form from the support page of our website.

unam 10-27-2020 11:30 AM

Hi,

I wished I could used all the SecureCRT built-in functions when I open a local shell in a new tab in the app but it seems not possible currently :(

I am currently checking the openssh documentation and I hope I will find a way to make it works for my needs.

Thanks for your reply, hope it will be integrated one day.