VanDyke Software Forums

VanDyke Software Forums (https://forums.vandyke.com/index.php)
-   Secure Shell (https://forums.vandyke.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Disable buffer clear after reconnect session? (https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.php?t=3309)

metaclassing 11-21-2008 10:22 AM

Disable buffer clear after reconnect session?
 
Good morning guys,

Is there any way to prevent securecrt from clearing the screen after i try to reconnect to a disconnected session??? Just print the new login prompt right where it left off so i can log in and remember what i was doing before my session timed out lol

bgagnon 11-21-2008 02:44 PM

Hi metaclassing,

SecureCRT will clear the screen on reconnect, but saves the information to the scrollback buffer assuming a couple settings are correctly configured.

Is 'Clear on disconnect' in the 'Terminal' category of Session Options disabled?
If not, once disabled is the screen information saved in the scrollback buffer?
Is the 'Scrollback buffer' in the 'Terminal / Emulation' category of Session Options set to a sufficient amount of lines so as to display a full screen?
If not, once you enter a sufficient value, do you have access to your screen information saved in the scrollback buffer after disconnecting and reconnecting?

toqpuk 02-20-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgagnon (Post 14969)
Hi metaclassing,

SecureCRT will clear the screen on reconnect, but saves the information to the scrollback buffer assuming a couple settings are correctly configured.

Is 'Clear on disconnect' in the 'Terminal' category of Session Options disabled?
If not, once disabled is the screen information saved in the scrollback buffer?
Is the 'Scrollback buffer' in the 'Terminal / Emulation' category of Session Options set to a sufficient amount of lines so as to display a full screen?
If not, once you enter a sufficient value, do you have access to your screen information saved in the scrollback buffer after disconnecting and reconnecting?

Hello there, I have all settings are same as above you mentioned. but how can I restore scrollback buffer after reconnection ?

jdev 02-20-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toqpuk (Post 50958)
Hello there, I have all settings are same as you mentioned. but how can I restore scrollback buffer after reconnection ?

What version of SecureCRT are you running?

And on what operating system platform and version are you running SecureCRT?

In your scenario, what's on the screen before you disconnect?

What is in the scrollback buffer after you reconnect?

--Jake

toqpuk 02-21-2019 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdev (Post 50960)
What version of SecureCRT are you running?

And on what operating system platform and version are you running SecureCRT?

In your scenario, what's on the screen before you disconnect?

What is in the scrollback buffer after you reconnect?

--Jake

I am on Windows 10 64 bit, SecureCRT is Version 8.5.3 (x64 build 1867). I am using secureCRT for cisco config via ssh, there is no any messages before disconnect, just red cross before router name on tab. after reconnect it clear screen and show logon banner and router name w/o any lines which were before disconnect.

toqpuk 02-21-2019 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdev (Post 50960)
What version of SecureCRT are you running?

And on what operating system platform and version are you running SecureCRT?

In your scenario, what's on the screen before you disconnect?

What is in the scrollback buffer after you reconnect?

--Jake

One more thing, before SecureCRT I used to have superputty and there I had option restart session , when session has disconnected after timeout you can press restart session, and you will stay in same tab see all scrollback buffer and router will just ask you login again (enter password)

jdev 02-21-2019 11:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by toqpuk (Post 50967)
I am on Windows 10 64 bit, SecureCRT is Version 8.5.3 (x64 build 1867). I am using secureCRT for cisco config via ssh, there is no any messages before disconnect, just red cross before router name on tab. after reconnect it clear screen and show logon banner and router name w/o any lines which were before disconnect.

There are two common ways to perform a true "reconnect" operation in SecureCRT:Which one of these methods are you using to "reconnect"?

If you're not using either of these two methods, then you're not performing a "reconnect", you're starting a brand new session within the active tab (which so happens to currently be disconnected). This action will wipe out what's currently displayed in the disconnected tab and scrollback buffer as it is prepared for the new connection you've told it to establish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toqpuk (Post 50967)
One more thing, before SecureCRT I used to have superputty and there I had option restart session , when session has disconnected after timeout you can press restart session, and you will stay in same tab see all scrollback buffer and router will just ask you login again (enter password)

This sounds like SecureCRT's "Reconnect" behavior, as I've described earlier.

Does pressing the Reconnect button not work for you in the same way?
https://forums.vandyke.com/attachmen...achmentid=1647
--Jake

toqpuk 02-22-2019 12:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdev (Post 50978)
There are two common ways to perform a true "reconnect" operation in SecureCRT:Which one of these methods are you using to "reconnect"?

If you're not using either of these two methods, then you're not performing a "reconnect", you're starting a brand new session within the active tab (which so happens to currently be disconnected). This action will wipe out what's currently displayed in the disconnected tab and scrollback buffer as it is prepared for the new connection you've told it to establish.



This sounds like SecureCRT's "Reconnect" behavior, as I've described earlier.

Does pressing the Reconnect button not work for you in the same way?
https://forums.vandyke.com/attachmen...achmentid=1647
--Jake


Yes I have tried both methods and both are doing same, wipe screen and reconnect me as new session. Also I can record video how it is going. Settings are below:
https://forums.vandyke.com/attachmen...1&d=1550816081
https://forums.vandyke.com/attachmen...1&d=1550816081

jdev 02-22-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toqpuk (Post 50981)
Also I can record video how it is going.

Perfect! Please share a video of what's going on.

--Jake

toqpuk 02-25-2019 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdev (Post 50992)
Perfect! Please share a video of what's going on.

--Jake

Thank you for your support found the issue, now all is OK, after reconnect all scroll back buffer is saved.

jdev 02-25-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toqpuk (Post 51002)
Thank you for your support found the issue, now all is OK, after reconnect all scroll back buffer is saved.

For the benefit of others, would you please describe what the fix was in your specific case?

--Jake

gaspenson 08-23-2019 02:11 PM

How did you fix it?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by toqpuk (Post 51002)
Thank you for your support found the issue, now all is OK, after reconnect all scroll back buffer is saved.

How did you fix it? Only feature that I miss from SuperPutty.

jdev 08-23-2019 02:58 PM

Dear gaspenson,

The original poster never replied, and it was also never clarified exactly what behavior they were engaging in that precipitated the screen and scrollback buffer being cleared.

What specific actions are you taking that are resulting in the screen being cleared?

A "reconnect" operation performed in SecureCRT by pressing the reconnect button on the toolbar (or by pressing enter within the terminal window of a disconnected tab/tile) does NOT clear the scrollback. Current contents of the screen are scrolled up into the scrollback buffer, preserving screen contents (you just have to scroll up in the buffer to see them).

What is it, specifically, that you want?

What actions, specifically, are you taking when your screen AND scrollback are cleared?

--Jake

gaspenson 08-23-2019 03:18 PM

"Current contents of the screen are scrolled up into the scrollback buffer, preserving screen contents (you just have to scroll up in the buffer to see them)."

That was the solution! I just had to scroll up.

jdev 08-23-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaspenson (Post 52247)
"Current contents of the screen are scrolled up into the scrollback buffer, preserving screen contents (you just have to scroll up in the buffer to see them)."

That was the solution! I just had to scroll up.

Glad to hear that the scrollback buffer had what you wanted to see.

It sounds like you, personally, would prefer to have the screen remain as-is when a reconnect operation takes place (instead of having the current screen data scrolled up into the scrollback buffer).

I've added a feature request on your behalf. While I don't have any ETA as to when such functionality might ever become available, a post will be made to this forum thread should a version of SecureCRT ever become available with the functionality.

--Jake


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 PM.