PDA

View Full Version : Xming is unbearably slow

blue_eyed_son
05-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi--I'm using Xming to run a remote program on a server I connect to via secureCRT. My DSL connection works perfectly well, but working with the program is impossibly slow. There's a delay for everything--loading the window, entering text--to the point of wondering if it's frozen, then responding just before I shut it down.

Somehow this extra complication is actually making things faster: I use remote desktop to just connect to my computer at the facility, and use Xming on that machine to run my programs connecting to the server from a desktop within the facility. There's no delay using remote desktop, but if I run the same programs connecting directly to the server from home, it's torture.

I connect with SSH2 with X11 forwarding. Is there any way through Secure CRT to get this running faster? This page mentions switching to non-secure after login to move things along:

http://oit.utk.edu/research/HowtoInstallXmingForWindows.pdf

How would I go about doing that with SecureCRT if that ends up being the best option?

Thanks.

miked
05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Hello blue_eyed_son,

There's no delay using remote desktop, but if I run the same programs connecting directly to the server from home, it's torture.The X11 protocol is very different from the Remote Desktop, but as far as network bandwidth usage I am not aware of any speed comparisons, so I wouldn't know if the latency is specific to your network or is a side effect of the protocol.I connect with SSH2 with X11 forwarding. Is there any way through Secure CRT to get this running faster? You could experiment with SSH compression. This is an option in Session Options / Connection / SSH2 / Advanced. The compression level ranges from 0 (minimal compression) to 9 (maximum compression). A higher level means better compression which may be good if the bottleneck is the network.

This page mentions switching to non-secure after login to move things along:
http://oit.utk.edu/research/HowtoIns...ForWindows.pdf
How would I go about doing that with SecureCRT if that ends up being the best option?The .pdf document refers to "How to start a UNIX Terminal window" but doesn't actually include that section - so I'm not sure where the document was headed with the idea.

If you want to send X11 traffic without forwarding it through SSH, and if your firewalls and proxy servers allow it, and if the server you're connecting to and starting X Windows applications on can "see" your computer, then you'll need to manually set your DISPLAY environment variable on the Unix server to whatever the IP address or hostname is where you're running Xming. After setting the DISPLAY you should be able to start the application (xclock, xeyes, xterm, xetc..) and see the application appear on your desktop with Xming. These seem like a lot of conditions in many network environments (with Firewalls, proxies, NAT), but if you don't need the X11 data encrypted and there's nothing preventing direct X11 traffic from the server to your computer then you should see better X11 performance.