PDA

View Full Version : SecureCRT and horizontal scrolling!

ernstv
03-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Hi!

I'm currently evaluating SecureCRT for managing my storage system via SSH.

There is one thing I cannot get to work: horizontal scrolling.
There are some outputs from my storage system that are very wide, lets say up to 300 columns or more.

When I leave SecureCRT at default settings, the lines are wraped at the screen edge and the output is almost unreadable.

When I change the Session Options / Terminal / Emulation / Modes / Line wrap to unchecked, the output is simply truncated at the right edge. This is also not what I want. I'd like to have a horizontal scrollbar and scroll through my output.

Is this possible somehow?

Cheers,
EV

rtb
03-09-2012, 07:35 AM
Hi EV,

You can enable Show horizontal scroll bar in the Terminal / Appearance category of the Global Options dialog.

With regards to the issue, the information you have provided is not specific enough to really say what might be happening.

Are the defined Maximum columns: in the same category wide enough to display the data the remote is sending?

There are also a couple of options in the Terminal / Emulation category of the Session Options dialog that may impact this issue.

Are the Logical columns: wide enough to display the data?

You may want to select Retain size and font in the On resize as well.

bartgrefte
09-23-2013, 03:25 AM
I have the same problem as ernstv.

It happens a lot that the output of a command is so long it goes of the screen. When setting "line wrap" on, the output continues on the second line.

The reason I chose SecureCRT is because it has a horizontal scrollbar, but it's not doing anything. When disabling "line wrap", I expect the output to continue on the same line but having to use the horizontal scrollbar to scroll to the right to see everything that went of the screen. The same way you can scroll up to see back at what you've been doing on the terminal.

Instead when disabling "line wrap", the line is cut off at the edge of the window.

Screenshot:
http://www.ravenslair.nl/plaatjes/SecureCRT.jpg

The first is with line wrap on, the second off and then I moved the window border a bit to the right to show the problem. Without "line wrap", the line is cut off at the edge of the window, the rest of the output is just gone.

So what is that horizontal bar doing there anyway? Right now it looks like it's there for nothing.

rtb
09-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Hi bartgrefte,

Thanks for the question. To use the horizontal scroll bar, you will need to enable Retain size and font located in the On resize section of the Terminal / Emulation category of the Session Options dialog.

Does this help to resolve the issue?

bartgrefte
09-23-2013, 09:08 AM
That did not help, at first, but then I got a hunch and increased the logical columns to 500, that combined with the setting you mentioned seems to work, thanks :)

rtb
09-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Hi bartgrefte,

Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear that you have a solution.

As a quick note, Line wrap mode just configures SecureCRT to either truncate the data or wrap it. It is possible to use the Line wrap mode in conjunction with the horizontal scroll bar. If the logical columns are not sufficient, it is possible that data will be truncated even when using the horizontal scroll bar if the Line wrap mode is disabled.

Here is a snippet from the help file:
Check this option to have any characters received when the cursor is at the right margin be displayed on the next line. The right margin is defined by the number of logical columns. If Line wrap is not selected, any characters received when the cursor is at the right margin will be displayed just to left of the right margin, replacing the current character displayed there. By default, Line wrap mode is selected.